sel_29 - ies inca garcilaso
UNIVERSIDADES DE ANDALUCÍA
PRUEBA DE ACCESO A LA UNIVERSIDAD
ANÁLISIS DE TEXTO EN
a) Duración: Una hora y treinta minutos.
b) La puntuación de cada pregunta está indicada en las mismas.
OSCAR THINKS “BEAUTIFUL” THOUGHTS
Well, after we have known the nominees, what are the chances for this year's Oscar
In most years, four of the five top films have their directors nominated. This year,
there was a bigger amount of divergence. Two films nominated for the main prize, “In the
Bedroom” and “Moulin Rouge”, did not get approval for their directors. Likewise, two of the
five top directors, David Lynch and Ridley Scott did not see their films make the final five for
Best Film, but at least they were recognized as imaginative directorial achievements.
It looks like the year Ron Howard gets a little respect. The former child star has
directed movies (“Apollo 13”) that have been nominated for Best Film, but he personally has
not received any mention from the Academy. Now, with his “A Beautiful Mind” the first clear
front runner, and with his first Oscar nomination, he finally looks ready to graduate in the
eyes of the Academy members.
Of course, in Hollywood, as screenwriter William Goldman put it, nobody knows
anything. The Oscar nominations are not a game that can be won by statistics. It is a game
involving prejudices, obscenely large marketing, campaigns and ... politics.
(A) COMPREHENSION (4 points)
a) ANSWER QUESTIONS 1-2 ACCORDING TO THE INFORMATION GIVEN IN THE TEXT. USE
YOUR OWN WORDS.
(1 point per answer)
1) Is it easy to know what films could get the Oscar in 2002?
2) What makes this year's nominations different?
b) ARE THESE STATEMENTS TRUE OR FALSE? JUSTIFY YOUR ANSWERS WITH WORDS
OR PHRASES FROM THE TEXT.
(0.5 points per answer)
3) According to the author, Ridley Scott worked as a good director last year.
4) Ron Howard is nominated Best Director for me first rime.
5) The nominations for Best Director and Best Filn1 are often very similar.
6) The director of “Moulin Rouge” has been nominated.
(B) USE OF ENGLISH (3 points)
Find one synonym in the text for PRINCIPAL
Give a word with the same root as APPROVAL.
Find in the text an opposite for BACK
Give a synonym for MOST
Turn me following sentence into the active voice:
They were recognized.
12) Give a question for the underlined words:
Now, he looks ready to graduate.
13) Turn the following sentence into direct speech:
Ron Howard said he was making a memorable film.
14) Complete the following sentence:
“A Beautiful Mind” will win an Oscar because …
(C) PRODUCTION (3 points)
15) WRITE A COMPOSITION (80-100 WORDS). CHOOSE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING
OPTIONS. SPECIFY YOUR OPTION.
a) Will you watch the Oscar Ceremony? Why / Why not?
b) What are your favourite films?